Friday May 25th 2018
Registration from 12:30 to 1:45 PM at USI – Università della Svizzera Italiana
2:00 – 5:00 PM
Pre-Congress Workshops – Migration Focus Point Workshop led by Joe Kearns,
the driving force behind the creation of the SIETAR Europa Special Interest Group (SIG) on Migration, and accompanied by other SIG members, this half day session is structured to:
- Look at the current Migration context in Europe and key challenges for government organisations and local communities
- Provide an update on the positioning and activities of SIETAR Europa and national SIETAR Associations in the field
- Review work and/or volunteer options in this sector for interculturalists
- Serve as an exchange platform for best practices on grassroot initiatives led by session participants
This workshop is designed to be highly interactive and to draw on the experience and subject-matter expertise of the participants. Professor Alex Frame from the Université de Bourgogne, Catherine Roignan, Dr. Heike Stengel Interim Professor at Hochschule Furtwangen University and Anne-Claude Lambelet, President SIETAR Switzerland will support Joe facilitate this workshop by sharing recent research, actions and perspectives tied to Migration.
Why attend this session? If you are a volunteer, part of an NGO, working with a charitable association or an intercultural trainer who is engaged in this field, this session will be fundamental for you.
2:00 – 4:30 PM
Pre-Congress Workshops – Country Navigator Workshop presented by Russell Harlow & Chris Wood
Country Navigator is an industry leading CQ training tool, designed to complement your coaching programs. Our online assessment allows learners to understand their cultural behaviours and compare their tendencies with countries, teams and colleagues. The tool highlights cultural differences and similarities and provides instant guidance where needed. Your trainees will benefit from in-depth information and expert advice for over 100 countries, with insider tips to build better relationships and secure deals around the globe. Users can access the intuitive and engaging tool online or through the Smartphone app.
Join our session to learn how you can enhance your cultural coaching course with Country Navigator. Russell Harlow is Director of Global Resourcing and Chris Wood is Head of Learning Solutions, both at TMA World.
5:15 – 6:45 PM
City Tour (starting at USI – Università della Svizzera Italiana entrance of the red building)
Welcome Cocktail & Networking at Ciani Lugano
Saturday May 26th 2018
Registration from 8:00 AM at USI – Università della Svizzera Italiana
Opening Plenary Session
Prof. Christoph Barmeyer
Constructive Intercultural Management: How can individuals manage intercultural challenges and benefit from diversity in organizations?
Christoph Barmeyer is Professor of Intercultural Communication at the University of Passau (Germany). His last book, edited together with Peter Franklin: Intercultural management: A case-based approach to achieving Complementarity and Synergy. London, Palgrave, 2016.
Intercultural Management is about managing across cultures: the difficulties and opportunities it brings and the competencies needed to handle the situation and create solutions. Practitioners and theoreticians usually pursue a problem-oriented approach to cultural difference. Constructive Intercultural Management, on the other hand, consciously focuses on the strengths of cultural contrasts, which can complement and enrich each other.
Applying a constructive approach, the presentation will demonstrate how cultural diversity can be used as a resource to generate synergy and complementarity.
Coffee Break and Student scientific poster presentations
Students from the MA in Intercultural Management at the University of Burgundy will be pitching their individual research posters to you: global mobility, diversity and inclusion, cultural branding, peace-building, acculturation, language and identity, minorities and globalisation, expat kids, and much more!
Congress participants will be asked to vote for the best poster and pitch!
Prof. Marie-Thérèse Claes (moderator)
The Worlds of Diversity and Inclusion
Professor Marie-Therese Claes from the University of Louvain will moderate this interactive panel discussion, connecting current culture-related research and trends on diversity and inclusion with a strong focus on their application for praxis in different environments.
Our panel of speakers will address different environments in which diversity comes to play:
- Diversity and Training Global Leaders: Russell Harlow, Director of Global Resourcing, TMA World Group,
- Diversity in Educational Settings, Trends & Challenges: Professor Pesche Eigenmann, International Relations Office, BFH Bern University of Applied Sciences,
- Diversity and HR Practices, a perspective for HR practitioners working with the M.E.A.: Professor Samer Nakhle, currently forming SIETAR MEA,
And to close the session: SIETAR Switzerland member Frode Hvaring, Managing Partner Newind, will lead participants through an interactive diversity-awareness game.
What participants can expect to take away from this session:
- Looking beyond the assessment of diversity towards an agenda for inclusion and collaboration;
- Invigorating exchanges on trends, best practices and perspectives in different environments;
- Thoughts for new directions and applications of the management of diversity and inclusion in challenging times.
Senior intercultural trainer, author and profesionnal speaker:
Learn how to get more Intercultural Training Days
A modern Marketing and new Selling Workshop for Independant Trainers & Coaches
This high-energy 90 minute session will help you to build the 3 key assets that you need to get your “brand” out there and start generating incoming, warm and qualified enquiries for your services, in a matter of weeks. We will teach you a key modern, non-selling, sales technique and boost your confidence and competences as a promoter of your valuable IC business.
- You will have built your first differentiating business assets
- You will understand how words sell, so that you can write invitations that now generate valuable levels of response from your target business sector
- You will be able to understand and construct a funnel / marketing sequence that will move people from not knowing you to knowing, liking & trusting you, and, eventually, buying training days from you as well.
Prof. Yih-Teen Lee
Full professor IESE Business School
From Cultural Awareness to the Comprehensive Global Acculturation Model: a Review of the Field and Implications for Training
The interactive session will offer a brief review of the field of cross-cultural management, covering the following topics: cultural awareness, cultural knowledge, cultural bridging, and cultural identities. Based on my research and consulting experiences, I will especially emphasize the importance of the latter two topics and introduce the comprehensive global acculturation model with its implications for global leaders and their training and selection.
- Develop a broad overview of the field of cross-cultural management
- Obtain insights beyond cultural adaptation
- Understand and apply the Comprehensive Global Acculturation Model in training and counselling
Parallel Sessions repeated
Coffee Break and more Student scientific poster presentations
Gala Dinner at Lido Seegarten Hotel – Restaurant Rialto
Sunday May 27th 2018
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Interactive Morning Session at USI with
Samuel Van den Bergh
Professor at Zurich University of Applied Science and CEO at Van den Bergh Thiagi GmbH
Your EQ is more important than your IQ // Seven Laws of Learning // Toward Serious Playfulness
Daniel Goleman already stated in 1995 in his bestselling book Emotional Intelligence that being smart goes beyond your IQ. In 2018, we still need emotional intelligence with self-awareness, impulse-control, persistence, motivation and empathy.
The principles and procedures related to emotional intelligence are best learned by interactively experiencing the factors and analyzing their impact. Traditional training fails miserably to sharpen our emotional intelligence. Experiential and interactive approaches are obvious strategies of choice. (adapted from Sivasailam Thiagarajan)
During this interactive and energizing breakfast session, participants will experience seven general laws of learning, interlinked with interactive strategies. Seriously playful.